Thursday, July 06, 2006

Things I Still Regret, Part 1

While I'm reminiscing, I feel I should talk about some things I've done wrong, which in retrospect I know where mistakes.

Once I invited some friends over to my apartment for dinner.

Except that I didn't have any food in the apartment.

I don't recall the exact details, but think we couldn't agree on what to order, so we decided to order out using "Food by Phone," which let us pick a la carte items from various restaurants that offered take-out, and then delivered it.

Except that I didn't have very much money.

It didn't quite hit me at the time, but the net result was that I invited people over for dinner, and then made them chip in for a good chunk of the cost of their dinner!

This was nine or ten years ago, but I still think about it, and still regret it. I was a bachelor, living alone, not managing my money very well, having split up with my girlfriend of six years not that long before, and was living a somewhat troubled and lonely existence, depressed and taking medication to try to stay functional.

I had clearly lost my sense of what was decent hospitality and what wasn't. I'm sorry, guys!

No comments: